Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Last Run Before the Ascent

So I have had the unfortunate event of burning out two weeks ago and trying to get my legs back. I thought I'd hit 300 miles trained, but alas am a little short of that, but healthy. Tonight was the last run I will do before my race this Saturday. I went 4 miles at a steady 8min 50sec per mile pace. My goal for tonight was to just get something in, get my legs moving again, and to not get sore. This was a very safe run to do; I got moving and didn't push very hard. That's it, I can't do any more, the next run is my race.

I have had very mixed thoughts and feelings that last two weeks. I have gone from thinking that I have completely blown my opportunity to run the race to thinking that I'm going to smoke it, back to wondering if I will have any legs on race day, and then to now thinking that my legs feel good and fresh. Can I make the distance? OF COURSE! Can I do it smart enough to not burn out early on in the race during the steepest section? I can, but do I have enough whereabouts to recognize when to turn it on and when to hold it back? That is to be determined. I know that I have the lung capacity to push it at high altitude, but can my legs hold out? If I run the race smart. My projected time from my half marathon is 4 hrs 30 min, but that was a few hundred miles and over 8 months ago. I could definitely run a half marathon faster now. So knowing that I am in better shape AND I have been training on the mountain I personally have set the goal of wanting to get under 4 hours, with 4 hrs 15 min being the longest time I'd like.

Overall, I am just really happy to be able to participate in such a grueling and unique race. I am pumped up, but a little anxious. I am excited to go out and do it!
Start Line          Finish Line
This is all I'm thinking about now...

No comments: