Saturday, July 9, 2011

10 Miles Above 12,000 Feet elevation

Today was my first run that we call a "3-2-1". The way this run is done is you drive to the top of Pikes Peak and start the run there. You then run 3 miles down the mountain which takes you to about treeline, then you run back up the 3 miles you just came down. You then go back down 2 miles, then up 2 miles, then down 1 mile and up 1 mile. All of this is done above 12,000' elevation! I went with my friend Carl who is Pikes Peak running veteran and he showed me some of the simple things to know about the trail.

On a side note, the drive up Pikes Peak Highway is a little scarier than I originally thought...no guard rails next to 1000+ foot drops can be a bit intimidating!

It was 36 degrees on top of Pikes Peak when we got there...in July! The first run down 3 miles was about getting used to the terribly rocky and uneven terrain and getting to know the layout of the trail. As we turned around at A-frame on Barr Trail I told Carl that I wanted to push past my limits to find out where my limit is. I only ran about a tenth of a mile before I was ready to die. I then proceeded to go forward with a strong swift pace:
3 miles to go mile time : 19 min
2 miles to go mile time : 16.5 min
1 mile to go mile time  : 19.5 min
Total Time    : 55 min from A-frame to the top
I surprised myself by steadily pulling away from Carl and feeling pretty good. I soon lost him on my
way up. About 1 mile left into this first ascent my left knee felt really wobbly and loose. Every step felt like my lower leg wanted to jar itself away from the femur. Then I hit the '16 Golden Stairs' section which is the last bit of 16 steep switchbacks right before the top. There is nothing 'golden' about them. They sucked!

I rested at the top for 3 minutes looking for Carl to pop his head up anytime, but didn't see him. So I then did 2 miles down and then 2 back up. By the time I hit the 16 Golden Stairs the second time I was pretty pooped and my knee felt like it was all over the place, but still went on. I was a bit slower these two miles this second time:
2 miles to go mile time: 18 min
1 mile to go mile time :  25min (I knew I was done and slowed down a little)
When I finished this last mile to the top I was done, out, it was all over. My knee was really bothering me and my legs were shot. I didn't do the last two miles of 1 mile down then back. Maybe another time. I am extremely glad that I did this training for a few reasons: 1) I have really needed high altitude training, 2) It gave me a whole new perspective of what the race will be like, 3) I was able to find my limits today, and 4) I found out I am in better shape than I thought!

Daily Totals: 10 miles in 2 hours and 47 minutes

No comments: