About 1 miles into my ascent I realized that I was short on water and was going to run out well before I finished at the top. Before I changed my mind to go to Barr Camp I had planned on refilling my homemade Gatorade at my car on the summit after every round on the mountain, thus my predicament now of not having enough fluids. The ascent up was pretty tough, I'm glad Carl mentioned running this extra section. It is very rocky and steep and gave me a great idea of what to expect for the race. I ran out of fluids about 3.5 miles from the summit....NOT GOOD! I pressed on because there is no easy out on the mountain other than by your own efforts. About a half mile later I was completely dry in my mouth and my skin had already started to get really dry. At this same time I "bonked"; I ran out of energy and didn't have much left to keep going, but I did.
I slowed way down and felt horrible, really wanting fluid. I didn't have the desire to eat any of the food I had for energy which I know is a mistake, but it is still what happened. So I had nothing replenishing me. Just past 2 miles to summit I ran in to Carl and Tom who were coming down. We talked a few minutes and kept going. A few minutes later I ran in to Lindsey who was also with us and when she found out that I had "bonked" she offered food and water but I denied it. It was a couple minutes later from this that I realized that I was no longer thinking straight or very fast. I wasn't feeding myself and I denied help from people I know who had offered. I also had slowed down even more and was not unaware of my surroundings, but I definitely was not in tune very well with my surroundings. I just kept going knowing that there was a lot more help for me if I needed it at the summit and not on the side of the mountain.
I finally slinked to the top of the summit really out of it and hardly able to even move my legs forward. I got to my car and immediately started replacing my fluids and eating. There was an instant change in my body and I could feel it acepting my appologies with fluid and food. I sat down at the top of the trail looking for Carl or Tom or Lindsey and continued to fuel my body. I slowly noticed that I was more and more aware of things and started to feel much better. I also got a donut from the shop on top...couldn't help it! It is amazing how intense dehydration and high altitude was really grasping on to me and dragging me down. I'm glad I got out of it before anything serious happened. It was a major oversight on route planning not having the fluids I needed. Another lesson learned. Stats for the day: 11.5 miles above 10,000' elevation in 3 hours 32 seconds. So it took 1 hour 55 minutes to climb the 5.75 miles and 4,000' feet to the top.

1 comment:
What a scarry experience. I am glad you didn't kill yourself!!! I am surprised your friends didn't "Observe" you situation and take control by insisting you take some food and water!! I think you should all think about what happened!! Glad you're alive.......you are crazy like your mother.
Post a Comment