Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Incline Record


So I decided to do the Incline today and then run up Barr Trail...lightning changed my plan a bit and I ended up running back down Barr Trail from the top of the Incline so as to not be charred meat. BUT... I was able to get a new personal record on the Incline. The old record from a few weeks ago was 35 minutes flat. Today, I told myself that I could not allow longer than 34 minutes! It was a great day to do so. It'd been blistering hot, but as I got close to Manitou Springs it became overcast and lightly began to rain. I started out with another steady pace and it hurt, my legs burned, and my breathing sounded like a jet plane flying over, but I kept it up. I did not stop this time at all. As I got towards the top I noticed that my cap of 34 minutes was coming closer than I wanted. I ended up pushing hard at the end to barely make it and I did! I finished in 33 minutes 53 seconds. I was so close to going over that 34 minute mark. Oh how I wanted to die afterwards.

After taking a 5 minute break up top watching lightning and hearing a lot of thunder, I headed off down Barr Trail. My legs were a bit sluggish at first, but as I got into a rythym it went very well. Another new thing happened about a mile out from the parking lot, I actually threw up a bit in my mouth...eeeeeeewwww! That doesn't happen to me, but it felt good because I had been pushing it and I will just consider it an experience only the mountain can provide for me.

No comments: