For those of you who don't know, LSD stands for Long Slow Distance in the running world...so don't jump to mal-conclusions (I think I just made up that word)! This weekend was insane time wise and I literally had no time to get my long run in. THAT's THE BIG ONE for me! So I saw a little bit of open time late this morning on my schedule and decided to squeeze the run in there. Only about 1/2 mile from my office is a trail head to the Santa Fe Trail that runs all the way throught the Springs north and south. It's a great place to get a long run in. So after my last morning patient I got into my running clothes and popped out the door.
I decided to run south on the trail this time from where I get on the trail. I normally go north to try and stay at a little higher altitude, but was thinking about it and it is only a few hundred feet difference which really doesn't make much of a difference since I live at a higher altitude than the trail! I thought that going south might be better in that it is downhill going south, so the second half of my run would be a slow uphill; not much grade, but at least it is uphill. The run was very nice. The trail follows the fountain river the whole way and for the most part it is a pleasant view. The occasional graffiti was annoying, but it was very relaxing and the smell of the trees and bushes along the river coming back to life after Winter was a nice touch.
I ran 32 minutes out and 28 minutes back. I did this to give myself a little bit of a cool down walk to get back to the office. Now if I'm doing a steep uphill workout I always do this because I go a lot faster on the downhill half of the run. I made it a total of 6.8 miles which averages out to 8 minute 49 second miles. I have been surprised lately that I am running a little faster average times than before and it doesn't feel that way. I guess I'm getting into better shape. Getting the run in during the morning gives me a good 12 hours this afternoon to add to a full days rest tomorrow than all day Tuesday before I run again. Didn't get the LSD on Saturday, but I'm working it in to this weeks schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment