Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Treadmill...Unfortunate...But Effective

So I got home from teaching tonight at about 9:10pm and didn't get available until about 10:45pm. Late or not, I still needed to get my run in! There was a chance of a storm coming in tonight and I really didn't feel like fighting anything, not even the dark outside. So I succumbed to a treadmill run tonight. I packed up a peanut butter half sandwich, made my homemade Gatorade, grabbed an apple, and off I went. In the gym I put the treadmill at 0.5 incline at a speed of 6.4 miles per hour, flipped on TruTV and started running. Found a funny show about a pawn shop. Didn't feel bad at all for most of the time. About 23 minutes into the run I picked up the pace to 7.6 mph which is just under an 8 minute pace and did that for about 2:30 minutes. Then I went back to 6.4 mph. After this both shoulders in the front were a little achy for a couple of minutes. At about 43 minutes I picked up the pace the same for another 2 minutes this time and did not feel any fatigue afterwards.

As far as my form and calf go, I was able to really focus on a light heel strike and noticed a big difference in the way my calf felt. It did get a little tight still, but it has been a little tight since last weeks running. I also noticed a BIG thing with the mirrors at our apartment gym. I noticed that I am leaning way to far forward when I run. I don't know if it is a habit that I've always had or if it is something that I've picked up from running steep inclines. Either way it was way too much forward lean. So I also focused hard on standing straight up and relaxing in that position. Interestingly, I did not feel as much stress on my calve when I was standing straight up. Another small notch put in my personal learning belt about my body and running style!

No comments: