Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blodgett Peak Strain

Today was the first day that I have been able to get a run in this week and I decided to go with a hill run again. I had a couple hours off at lunch and decided to go straight from my office up to Blodgett Peak. I didn't want to go straight into the trail this time though because it is pretty dang steep. So I parked about 1/2 mile away from the trailhead and started there to warm up a few minutes before I hit the trail, though this first 1/2 mile was still an uphill run. It was exciting that this time up the mountain side I was able to go a bit longer before I had to start my run/walk series; I went 19 minutes straight uphill before I started. Once you get up to the water tower the trail gets very steep and averages between 30-55 degrees incline and kicks your butt!

I went 28 minutes up over 2 miles and then 17 minutes down over 1.3 miles (if that gives you any idea of the steepness) for 45 minutes total over approximately 3.3 miles. That's an average of 13 min 38 sec miles. About 3/4 of the way up for me my calves were incredibly ON FIRE! They were burning so bad and I just kept on pushing. I only stopped to tie my shoe. It is amazing how intense my heart beats with workouts like this. Running downhill on trails I have noticed that my right lateral ankle gets painful every time any eversion is introduced. I tried hard to not allow much eversion, but it still happened. I also noticed half way down that my right foot was hitting the ground a lot harder than the left foot which was frustrating to me because I'm trying so hard to keep injury free and maintain a good running schedule. I am now already sore and am a little surprised at how quick this soreness has set in. I'm glad my LSD on Saturday is only 60 minutes.

No comments: