Pikes Peak Ascent,13.32 Miles, 7,815' of Vertical Gain As someone once said, "There's a reason trees don't bother growing above 12,000' on Pikes Peak. They can't!"
Monday, May 30, 2011
Windy Family Memorial Day March
We decided to go running today as a family! It is a very windy day but we went anyway. We drove up to Mary Kyer park just north of Interquest Parkway. We ran west towards the Airforce Academy and Santa Fe Trail, I pushed Lily in our jogger. We had to cross under I-25 through this dark tunnel that was covered in about 1cm of water. It was really creepy...even creepier on the way back realizing that it was a flash flood pathway! On the other side we met up with the Santa Fe trail just about a hundred yards from I-25 and headed north. It was very nice running together as a family. Lily of course started to get bored about 25 minutes in and said that we were "...running too long!" Right at North Gate, about 3 miles into the run, I handed the jogging stroller over to Julie, kissed her good bye, gave Lily a high five, and continued on down the trail without Julie and Lily; they turned around and played at the park when they got back waiting for me (they had a blast). I continued to run for another 26 minutes up to Baptist Rd. I would've turned around a few minutes earlier, but really had to go to the bathroom and knew that there was one at Baptist Rd. Then ran back. Overall, I went 102.5 minutes and a total of 10.6 miles. The first 3 miles were at an 11 minute per mile pace, the last 7.6 miles at a 9min 9sec pace. I have not been able to run much for some reason lately (life) and I think that the rest actually made me a bit stronger because I didn't have any real pain during the run and feel pretty dandy afterwards now! Of course, as you can see from the picture, this is probably the easiest trail I will ever run around here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Jeff! I actually posted a comment from Mom's house, but I guess I only thought I did because there's nothing here. Anyway, I think you're doing awesome and I'm SUPER impressed that you're doing this! I have to admit I'm a tad envious of the beautiful place you have to run in, but I'm sure some day I'll be able to take a trip out there and go on a run with you. Some day . . . Well, keep up the good work with your training and I'm excited to see how this all works out for you!
Post a Comment